Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Incident on Wednesday morning..

I guess yesterday's irritation and anger resulted in something unexpected this morning.

I couldn't sleep well though I tried.  I tossed around perhaps a few times too many : suddenly I felt the whole room spinning.  When I opened my eyes, things were moving around rapidly.  And there was this uncomfortable nauseating urge in my throat.

At 5:00am after some fretful grabs of sleep, I realised that I was sweating profusely, and only then I felt the familiar trembles of low sugar in my body.  I took a sweet which I kept for such instances and tried to close my eyes.  The spinning sensations kept me from sleeping, but I just kept still.

When I woke up fully an hour later, I was still dizzy and the feeling of wanting to vomit was quite strong.  I quickly fumbled for my glucose testing kit. It read at 4.0 despite having taken the sweet just over an hour ago.

That's when I had a panic. I tested my blood pressure and it showed a slightly low reading from the usual norm.  OK so it wasn't a heart problem probably.

I couldn't go to the clinic even if I wanted to because I'd just fall after a few steps. I went online, trying to calm down enough and let the wooziness fade a bit before I want to try to go to the clinic.

As luck would have it, FS was online and I told him I needed help. I explained the situation and he immediately asked me to get ready as he'd be coming over right then.  He, from work at Imbi Road, coming over.....

Then it hit me.  What if I really am having a heart attack?  I've read the symptoms enough to know the similarities are there.  What if I just topple over and die?  What if I had never woken up?  Would anybody know?  Or would they only find out once I have rotted...

Unpleasant thoughts.. but I kept calm.  I managed to unlock my front gate and left the main door open.  I sat down inside the porch and waited, trying to remain calm all the time.

He arrived and I entered his car, and directed him to the clinic.  The receptionist asked if I could wait since the doctor was having his break.  I told her, "can a dying man wait long enough?"  Dramatic, I know, but I need to let her realise I really needed help.

Again, as luck would have it, the doctor came back, and within 10 minutes I was in the consultation room.

Another BP reading, and it was confirmed it was normal, no irregularities.  Another instant blood glucose test, and despite me having 6 biscuits with cheese and butter and coffee with milk and honey not 2 hours before, the reading was 7.0 :  I had expected it to be higher.

The doctor spent a long time explaining to me various possibilities, the main ones being my diabetic condition.  It would definitely have caused the intense giddiness, more than just the usual tremblings once the glucose level was really low.  Nausea, sweating and the "drunk" sensations are typical, more so in some than others.

I heaved a sigh of relief.  I paid for the medication and then went to 7-11 to buy some snacks to eat with FS back at my house.

As he was leaving, my other friend from yesterday's problems at MBPJ arrived.  He had earlier settled everything on his own. Since I felt somewhat better, I went out to lunch with him.

I told him too what had happened.  He asked me when is Edi coming back... and promptly offered me to stay with him at his place until Edi returns home.  I declined since I do not want to be an inconvenience as he is still struggling with his own problems, and also I do not want to leave my house empty.

When he sent me home, he made me promise to call him at any time day or night if I need help.  FS said the same thing to me too.  Even if it is at dead of night...

I hope I won't have to.  But I guess I feel much better knowing they are there willing to offer help should I really need it.  To both, I'd like to say my heartfelt thanks on record here..

No comments: