Saturday, January 30, 2010

You gotta face this...

I was browsing through this book called "Mian Xiang : Discover Face Reading" by Joey Yap.  It was more out of curiosity than trying to decipher the pictures I browse in facebook, manjam or planet romeo.  In any case, more and more of the pictures (especially in manjam and PR) seems to focus elsewhere rather than a proper face shot, so what the heck.


I didn't realise before that the phrase "if a face could launch a thousand ships" might actually be true.  Like most mortals, I guess I've only thought ..oh.. he has nice cheekbones, or ahhh.. he has a sweet smile.  Or some such admiration to certain facial features.  Everyone has a concept of what's nice.

Unlike the Mian Xiang which categorises facial features into things like the 5 Officers, the 12 Palaces and 100-Year map, I like to keep things simple.  I categorise faces to a mere 3 groups : (1) forgettable, (2) memorable, (3) practical.

A forgettable face is one that makes you exclaim (usually mentally) a big WHAT?? as soon as you see it.  This is not to say that the face is ugly.  No one is ever ugly.  Uninspiring maybe, but certainly not ugly.  For example, can you say you are inspired when you see George Bush's face?  I can name other notaries closer to home even, but the thought of being seditious does discourage me somewhat..

Then there is the memorable face.  It is one that makes you exclaim (usually aloud) a drooling WOW!! as soon as it passes by you.  This is not to infer the face is pretty or handsome, although usually it has to be.  I cannot imagine anyone drooling over something unappetising. Can you?  The best example of a memorable face is the face of the one you love, or lust after (though lust can be triggered by other parts of the body...).

Last but not least, there is the practical face.  It's one that makes you wonder WHO? when you see it.  It's actually putting a name to the face, like when you know the face but cannot recall his name.  It's a practical face because you need to remember.  Especially friends, enemies and colleagues.  Not to forget family and relatives.  You need to be practical, right?

So, at the end of the day, which would you rather use :  the Mian Xiang way of seeing faces, or the plain but simple and just as effective method I use?  I know probably Joey Yap makes tons of money from his book.  And I make nary a cent from my system.  But I simplify my life.  If you want more complications, go ahead and read his book.

My parting shot at this topic -

Arnold (of TorchSong Trilogy) : there's more to life than finding a pretty face, then sitting down upon it
Alan (from same movie) : One look at me, and all they want is sex..
Arnold : One look at me, and all they want is... conversation.
Helena of Troy : the face that launched a thousand ships
Me : the face that sank a thousand hopes

.

No comments: