Monday, December 7, 2009

Update for Monday..

Sorry for not being able to update yesterday (Sunday).  I didn't receive any news since Vivien doesn't have internet access at home.  Also, I was also not feeling too well since early morning, so I just sort of do little things about the house.  I also didn't take up Terry's offer of going out later in late evening to the pasar malam in Paramount and dinner.

In the afternoon I had a hypoglycermic attack (low blood sugar) and I was having some spasms in my body.  Luckily it was at that time that Fook Seng and Chung came by from SS2. When I had some honeyed drinks and recovered, we went out for some late tea..

Anway this morning I got another long email from Vivien, detailing out what had happened over the last few days.  In summary it shows Edi has progressed a fair bit, and they are right at this moment deciding whether to put him in rehab as inpatient or outpatient..

"Fri, 04/12/09
I found out during my mid-(to)day visit why Edi keeps thinking that it is raining.  There are streaky marks outside the window panes, formed when rain water dries up on the dusty windows.  He sees them as rain pelting against the glass windows and he thinks there are pools of water on the flat roofs of low buildings outside his window.

5'ish visit  -  Andrew was there and Edi was about to start dinner. I'm sure that it's good for Edi to see the face of another friend.  We talked of Andrew's forthcoming visit to Msia (yum, nasi lemak since it was Edi's dinner time).  Edi's gradually eating more and prefers to feed himself now.  It takes a lot of energy for him to bring the food to his mouth, he brings his head down to the food on the cutlery.  As he still has the feeding tube in his nose, he also tilts his head to the side when drinking to avoid dipping part of the tube into the fluids.

It's becoming a ritual now that when I get there in the morning, usually at 8.10, which is after his breakfast, he uses the walker to get into the bathroom and brush his teeth and wipe his face.  Why doesn't he do this with the nurse?  I never ask and it might be that they are busy with handing over of the shift.  The duty nurse does come in to change the bed linen and check if he wants a shower which he has steadfastly refused.  He keeps feeling the cold and doesn't want to risk getting a chill.

I thought of how horrible it was 24 hours ago (when he was on the potassium drip and in Patrick's care) and now tonight is a blessed time of no dramas.  By the way, Patrick was back on to care for Edi this morning/afternoon.

Sat, 05/12/09
9 am -  7 pm  -  I spent the whole day with Edi because he wanted to talk .... a lot, even though he was short of breath at times.  He wanted me to take good care of my own health (health before wealth), kept referring to a time when he saw himself by the sea (near water anyway) where creatures/animals which were finally identified as beavers were frolicking, and a voice called to him, Edi, Edi, you are alright.  Then he stood around waiting for perhaps ½ hour but waiting for what, he didn't know.  I picked up a sense of lostness whenever he touched on the "waiting and not knowing".

Before the tracheostomy was performed, there was this young doctor trying to chat up a nurse.  Edi was furious but couldn't tell him to keep quiet and to proceed with the procedure.  The team waited hours for this young doctor to be there for the operation and here, he was wasting time and being more interested in the nurse.

He saw Hei Meng having an argument with our mom but was uncertain of the topic.  A few times, he felt weepy and repeatedly said, I don't know what happened.  With some prompting, it appeared that he's upset because he has lost 2-3 weeks of his life and he doesn't know what's transpired during this period.  I consoled by saying that when he's mentally stronger, we will help him to fill in the blanks.  My daily updates about him to you all will also plug the gaps, when he's ready.

Mid-morning, his cardiac surgeon Ian Nixon came.  Mr Wong, you are looking well to which Edi politely smiled with a "Thank you".  Remember, not too long ago, his response has been, I don't know that I'm feeling better?  In rapid succession, a couple of crucial developments took place during this visit.  (1) Mr Nixon asks the nurse to have Edi's feeding tube removed today, and not to wait until Mon which is the dietitian's target date; and (2) he expressed strongly his opinion that Edi will benefit more from going home as early as Mon instead of going into rehab.  Why?  It soon became clear to me that he was intent on treating Edi's mind - in rehab, everyone will be stranger to him and they will pay more attention to the elderly and weak rather than to Edi; plus the financial cost does not give a good return in accounting terms (my words).  Back in a home environment, Edi will rest better as medically speaking, they don't need him to be in hospital.

I pursued the most important thing on my mind which was what about his heart fibrillation?  I mean, it was only two nights ago that they gave him potassium because his heart needed it.  How do you monitor his heart rate when in rehab or at home?  His heart doesn't need to be monitored anymore.  What if it fibrillates?  He won't know it most of the time.  What when he does?  Not to worry, it goes away.  Well, if he being the expert has not worries, who am I to worry?  Joking aside, he also said if I have any concerns, the ward knows me.  All I need is to pick up the phone and talk to someone and take it from there.

During Hei Meng's 3pm visit, the three of us decided to wait until Mon to speak with all parties concerned before making a decision to discharge Edi and have out-patient rehab or go into rehab for a short duration.

Edi wanted me to pass on a message when I get home tonight.  To Sam, a quick sum-up on today's developments and specifically to Terry, that he looks forward to going to Pasar Malam with him when he gets back to Msia.  Terry, during the day, Edi's helped me to know a bit more of the friendship between the both of you :-)

Kieran and Hazel came early evening and were very pleased to witness Edi's appetite with his dinner.  As Hazel is leaving on 14/12, on our way home, we stopped by Chu The, Vietnamese noodle cafe in Richmond for our favorite, chicken rice noodles.  This place was recommended by two Viet ex-students of mine; they felt that the chicken broth was excellent.  Indeed, it was.  But Edi doesn't like this dish for he finds the stock too sweet (from his visit to Melb 9 years ago).

Sun, 06/12/09
9'ish morning visit - very lovely day, sunlight is streaming into his bedroom.  Just the weather to be outdoor  Patrick was again Edi's nurse (3rd time now) and he tried to joke with Edi.  You didn't bargain to fall sick during your holidays and certainly, didn't expect to have me as your nurse, did you?  I'm mean because I force you to things that you don't want to do.  No prize for guessing that Edi didn't even smile (well, he also had the thermometer in his mouth).  Being well brought up by our mom, I politely smiled.  But I used the opportunity to say things such as be "mean" but gentle, Edi will respond better to that.  I must again acknowledge that Patrick has his good side.  Eg: he spoke often enough of Edi doing much better, doing a bit more now, research confirming that the more the patient exercises, the quicker the depression disappears, etc.  Edi doesn't appreciate his constant reference to depression, though.

But then Patrick spoils it all by firmly telling Edi, mate you must have a shower, the lot.  I conspired with Edi in a few ways to handle Patrick.  (1) let's go for a walk, brother, we can sit in the visitors room and as long as he doesn't see us in your bedroom, he will be happy that you are exercising, and (2) tell Patrick politely but firmly - he can't force you - that you will have a shower after a rest.  I also added my comments to Patrick, he's just been the bathroom and brushed his teeth and freshened up.  Did you (Edi) have a good wash up?  Again, I didn't want to lie, so Not a wash up but he's cleaned himself a bit (the truth).  Patrick went away and left us alone.

I made sure that when we left the room, I called out, Patrick, we are off for a walk now.  Nurse Fiona saw us and asked Edi if he's been downstairs (cafes) for a coffee.  Is Patrick doing anything with you now?  If not, I can request a wheelchair so that you can get out of the building which will do you good.  Yes, yes, please, from me.  I don't want to go, from Edi to me.  So I had to run back to Fiona and said so. Fiona says your brother doesn't want to do a lot of things (in a kind and gentle way) but we must get him, even bully him, to do them for his own good.

Kieran and Hazel arrived after Edi has finished a bowl of thickened soup (mashed herbed potato) and a sandwich with chicken and mayo.  How marvellous for me to see him eat like so (of course, the night feed is gone now).   We left at 2 pm taking the chance to show Hazel Williamstown, a favorite seaside suburb for locals and tourists. Picture perfect weather, taken heaps of photos (bopping sail boats, people lounging on green grass, a rotunda that lends a bit of festivity) to show brother; if he's interested when strong enough, we'll drive him out there too.  Very good fish and chips from the takeaway place, Top of the Bay.  Back in time to see Edi enjoying his dinner, vegetarian fried rice.  Hei Meng's family had visited during the afternoon when we went to Williamstown.  The afternoon nurse (new one but really kind and encouraging and whose name I can't recall) said Hei Meng had insisted on wheelchairing Edi out into the sunshine for about 20 minutes.  Very good.

I stayed until 7'ish when Edi has had his last walk and rinsed his mouth.  Left him seated on the walker by the bed.  Warned him again not to try getting into bed on his own.


Mon, 07/12/09
8.15 am visit  -  Brother slept OK the previous night and got up early, before full brightness of the morning which I gauged would be 5'ish.  He felt hungry and had a pear which affected his brekkie appetite a bit. He saw himself to the toilet this morning and the nurse came by a few times to check that he was alright on his own.  Also, he had walked to the wash basin outside his room to wash the pear without using the walker.  The nurse got a bit alarmed and suggested that he let them know before attempting something like this for he is still weak.  It's fine to try doing things on his own but better to alert the nurse who can keep a lookout until Edi is definitely strong enough to walk without a walker.  When Fiona made his bed while I was there, we talked about this.

What Patrick couldn't get Edi to do, Fiona did - Edi had a shower.  As she was willing to listen and I had asked her to ensure that asa the hot water's off, a towel is placed over his body immediately, Edi trusted her.  It ended up that I took over from Fiona soon into the shower and hair washing exercise (I stayed behind the curtain to give my brother privacy).  He shivered for nearly 4 minutes while wrapped in two bath towels.  Once his body warmed up, he put on his clothings.  It's interesting for me to see again my brother's modified but systematic way of dressing and undressing given the limitations that he's experiencing.  Yep, his mind is ticking away healthily - and we had this scare of brain damage only 4 weeks ago.  I am so grateful and thankful that his mental faculty is intact.

Sandi, the physiotherapist is of the opinion that Edi will benefit from a few days of in-patient rehab; so does Fiona who pointed out the value of rehab helping him to use his voice again.  Head nurse David was going to find out if a bed is now available for Edi in case we do proceed with this option.  He thinks an occupational therapist will also assess Edi to help determine what's best for him right now.  If need be, they will provide some ideas and assistance with making the bathroom back home user-friendly for Edi.  But I reckon once Edi is stronger, this is unnecessary unless he's going home right now.

Hei Meng feels that Edi is keen to get out of the ward and doesn't mind much if it's to rehab.  Yesterday, while hiding in the visitors room from Patrick, Edi has said it's depressing to be "here" (despite all the goodness of the doctors and nurses)."




No comments: