Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Update for Tuesday..

After yesterday's second update, Vivien's email this morning seems even more positive.  I am very glad that things are moving quickly and smoothly for Edi in the rehab. He is finally getting to be able to do things which he normally does (shopping and cooking). The next step is to get him able to browse the internet... hopefully soon !!

"Tue, 15/12/09
10 am visit  -  found Edi with eyes shut and seated on his walker but exercising by arching his neck as far back as possible.  After 3 mins, he realised I was there.  Heated up some herbal chicken soup for him and while in the kitchen, met Georgina a nurse (I think) who was interested to have the ingredients written out in Chinese so that she can try to get them.  This is because I mentioned the efficacy of the two herbs - gay zi good for eyes and why-sang good for the lungs (I guess).  Had Edi write the names out for her.

Cath (not Caitlin as I'd thought - maybe short for Cathlyn, his physiotherapist) introduced some new exercises, eg: weaving in and out of an arrangement of coloured "hats" on the floor and raising a foot to lightly tap the tips each "hat".  Edi's shoulders are very stiff so he was shown some activities to do when back in the ward.  Stretch arms to touch the wall and move fingers up and the wall.  I remember doing these myself when suffering a frozen shoulder.

I took various photos and Edi must have felt a bit embarrassed.  We then went out of the building where the temperature was rising (forecast of 31 deg) and the three of us walked around ½ of the building, then Edi sat basking in the sunshine.  Yes, I took more photos but until I can get someone to download them (so embarrassing to admit again that I don't know how to do it and Edi's card reader isn't working for some reason, anyway), I cannot send them to you.

There are some Dutch visitors at the hospital, and they were to give Edi an afternoon physio session as well as take him across Nicholson Street to the park.  I was thrilled for him.  Back in the ward, Frances, his occupational therapist came and urged ever so nicely and patiently Edi to write out a shopping list for the lunch that he would cook tomorrow at about 12 noon.  Edi asked, you are not joking?  He still doesn't believe it despite that Cath has confirmed that it's part of evaluating his recovery.  I don't joke, not often (Frances in a smiley way).   She decided (and this wasn't the original intention at all) to invite Edi to go food shopping with her tomorrow morning.  Edi smartly said let's see how I feel tomorrow because frankly, I doubt that he can cope with shopping and cooking all on the same day.

I received a call from Frances at 12 noon that she has spoken with Cath who feels that going to the shop has as much value as to the park.  So (this is another Wait for this moment!) they are going food shopping today at 3 pm.  There'll be more photos from me.  Edi keeps saying don't go overboard with them.  Well, he nearly died and here are all these milestones demonstrating his recovery, so I cannot not take more photos.  Even though I'm behind in my work, I will not miss joining them.  Worse case is I'll catch up with what I cannot complete by the time my leave commences."



No comments: