Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Update for Wednesday...

I must apologise for this late update.  I just got home after quite a hectic day outside helping a friend look over a shoplot and meeting up with the owner about rentals, terms & conditions etc. etc.  My friend wants to open a salon specifically for male grooming (hair and facials + champissage).  After that he actually brought me to a shop that sells just products and equipment for a salon and asked me to figure out what he needs and which are the good ones to buy !!  I guess I am about to be a consultant?

I actually received Vivien's email before I left but I didn't have enough time to post it here when my friend arrived to pick me up.  Earlier, William called my from Edi's hospital bed and I managed to hear him say "hello" to me in a low raspy voice.  I told him not to try to speak and I just quickly told him not to worry about anything back home and to get himsellf well by following whatever the medical team wants him to do, and not to fear anything.

I felt immensely relieved to be able to hear him, and although there were other things I would've liked to say, I knew it wasn't the time or place to say so...


"Mon, 01/12/09
Late afternoon - Edi was visibly upset when he knew that they found some bugs (infection) in his urine (one thing after another and one more issue to deal with and his question was What have I done to deserve this).  Dr Luisa assured him that there's nothing to be concerned about and they will just monitor another urine sample since he has no pain when urinating and the amount coming out is "per usual".

Starting to take an interest in the view outside his window: What are those buildings?  There are 3 of them and they are identical in design and colour scheme.  I think they are housing commission flats; will print him a map of the area and point out where the hospital is.  I talked of the day when Nurses Claire and Simon took him out for 20 minutes under a tree because he was experiencing ICU psychosis (depression).  He cannot remember it and linked it to something in Hong Kong.

Had ½ of very small serve of rice porridge that Hazel brought; he's talking more although the voice is still scratchy, and I left at 7.20 pm at his request.  He looked comfortable and had his music on from the mobile phone.

Had a break from having blood drawn - I was so glad for him since  yesterday, they took 4 attempts before succeeding to obtain blood or  enough of it.

AF is happening less and for very short bursts only.  During my block of time (8.15 am to 1 pm) the alarm pinged 5-7 times but they came and went so quickly that I couldn't catch the reading of the heart rate. The only time that it went on for 3-4 minutes was when he was in the toilet, 130-150'ish.

He asked me and Brooke why he has nightmares.  She doesn't know and I have a couple of theories, one of which is he fears what he's gone through and could things go wrong again?  Will ask the doctors so that if they can offer some ideas, Edi might get rid of this shadow.

When the doctors (last round of the day), Edi said his body doesn't agree with Panadol but couldn't recall what he has taken in KL. Supposedly, they will stop all painkillers until Edi asks for it if the pain in his chest interferes with his coughing and other physio exercises.  Again, Dr Matt said it's normal to have the chest pain for a few weeks as the surgeons had to cut the sternum as part of the heart bypass surgery procedure.

Tue, 02/12/09
8.15 am visit - Nurse Brooke started feeding him medication orally which is good as it forces Edi to take Grade 2 water pudding to wash it down.  Awaiting dietitian to approve switching off the feed during the day to stimulate his appetite for food.  He had a bit of porridge from the hospital (ie, oats) and before I left at 9.25 am, he also consumed 1/3 cup of rice porridge.  He asked who "gave" the porridge, not remembering that it had been cooked by Hazel.  But he's getting there. I was glad that he fortified himself with Hazel's porridge before Bossy Sandi comes in with her physio regime.  I use the term Bossy with tongue in cheek.  She "demands" Edi's cooperation but also jokes with him to get him to work his muscles.

Brooke is now giving medication (including Panadol !) orally to Edi.  I was waiting to see if Edi heard that and it seems that he didn't for he made no protest about it.

Edi again has walked to bathroom to brush his teeth and was given a quick shower.  This is what he told me but I don't know if it did happen.  At times, he's still confused, eg: Brooke asked if he had been given a tablet this morning and he wasn't sure.  I'm pretty sure that this is normal because he drifts in and out of sleep, and is not following time and day although sometimes, he asks.

Brooke failed twice to get blood and I imagine later, a doctor will try again, just as they did two days ago.  Edi wanted to get back into bed but wasn't allowed.  They want him to sit up for hours and I reminded him that this is very good for his lungs.

Head Nurse David says the speech therapist will assess Edi today and  decide if they need someone to introduce a small fibre optic scope to check if his voice box is OK.  He added it is not something really unpleasant, implying not to worry about the experience.

Edi had nightmares again last night but he doesn't remember what they were.

12 pm visit -  Edi looked a bit tired - why?  Brooke has just taken out his sutures from the chest so there must have been some pain although yesterday, she had said there wouldn't be.

By now, Edi's also taken a "tour" of the ward (I'm exaggerating) on the walker.  Fish for lunch but the mashed pumpkin was too sweet for him, so without it, the fish was a bit dry.  After a few spoonfuls I put some fish into the porridge made by Hazel and at least Edi managed to take in just that little bit more but vital food.  The dietitian, Eve, agrees to have the feed switched off during the day and see if Edi will eat more. The feed will be resumed during the night.  If this works out well, they will remove the feeding tube.  Eve proposed to have the kitchen bring a few menus for Edi to select what he likes but he didn't want that (he says, I'm not picky.  I only want food that is not sweet or salty).  She suggested some scrambled eggs which might be appealing to Edi who's happy to try it.

Edi is still keen to drink water.  Brooke and I explained again that until the speech therapist okays it, we cannot risk him choking on water and having it go into his lungs.  When Hei Meng got there, he told our brother what went wrong after the heart operation with his lungs.  This hopefully helped him to see why we must proceed cautiously with his constant request for water.  His lungs are fine now and we must avoid any setback to this vital organ.

Quietly, I asked Brooke if they did get blood from Edi and yes, they did!  Glad that this is out of the way for Edi for today, at least. Bossy Sandi came by and had Edi do one more "tour" before letting him get back to  bed.  I followed along for the "tour" and some staff that we met along the way told Edi "well done".  I must say that Edi is much steadier on his feet now than 2 days ago.  Definite improvements.

When Hei Meng and I left at 1.45 pm, he was getting ready for a rest after the busy activities of the day.  I guessed correctly that we wouldn't be asked to leave since Edi's nurses are so familiar with us. However, as we left, the signage about no visitors between 12.30 - 2.30pm was placed in a very strategic location for all visitors to read (and obey?)."


Vivien email me later in the day with the following:-

"An addendum to the above update:-

William has just rung me from the hospital that Edi is now moving onto a soft diet - but that's what he's been having these two days.  I think the speech therapist and dietitian need to talk to each other.  That when the speech therapist assessed Edi's swallowing of water, he initially choked but then didn't for the next two sips.  Let's see if he's still on Grade 2 fluids - will find out when I get to the hospital this evening.  Also, tomorrow at 11 am they will take him to another building where they will use a scope to check his voice box."


No comments: