Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Last update for today..

I got the following email at about 8:00pm just as I was going out to eat with a friend:-

"Edi's brain scan/more of an X-ray did not show indications of (a) stroke; (b) bleeding or  c) swelling.

The next step is to perform a trachea ... nomy (don't know full word or spelling), you know, a small incision to the throat to introduce a tube to aid breathing.  The doctors recommend this procedure to replace the current ventilator because the risk of lung infection is lower.  This also allows Edi's brain more time to recover without the threat of further complications with ventilator.

Ideally, he wakes up tomorrow and his b/p and heart rate do not shoot up, ie, display distress.  Then the next step is to remove the ventilator over a day or two.  At about 5'ish tomorrow morning, they will again switch off all sedation.  Within an hour, the sedation should wear off and they will monitor his response.  At 9 am, the doctors usually do their ward rounds and will assess if he needs the trachea procedure.

Tonight, I stayed by Edi's bedside for a fairly long time to tell him that he was doing well, not to stress when he is more aware of noises, etc around him.  I also said that he would wake to a safe environment and not to fear anything.  To bring pleasant thoughts and encouragement, I reminded him that a couple of my friends whom he has met have issued him with a Christmas party invitation, that Pat can still come down to visit him next month to catch up and so forth.  Pat, I'm not implying that you should or must come!  Edi has a towel on his chest to provide warmth and a rolled up face towel in his left hand.  I explained to the nurse that this will provide him comfort.

The nurse said the sedation has already been reduced by a bit tonight, hence, Edi opened his eyes often enough that made me think he heard my voice at least.  I will visit him at 8 am on my way to work, to give him encouragement and reassurance again."



No comments: