Friday, November 20, 2009

Second update for Friday...

This is one of the most relieving news so far. I am so utterly glad that all of you have in your own ways wished it in your hearts for this... :)

"For my second visit of the day to St Vincent's Hospital, Edi was dosing when I arrived at 2'ish.  Soon, the nurse took him off the ventilator for another hour of lung therapy.  I wonder if he mistakenly thought that he was not going to get sufficient air on his own and could suffocate because he became labored in his breathing. 

I quickly reminded him that even when on the ventilator, he was initiating his own breathing.  So, it wasn't the machine keeping him alive.  His oxygen intake without the machine has been steady at 96 -98% in all the previous sessions which was great .  He need not fear not having enough air because he's not in such danger at all.   This fact may not be clear to him.   Anyway, I believe he then understood the situation better and coped rather well for the 1-hour off ventilator session.  But he also experienced less agitation because this wasn't the first 1-hr session that he's had today.  When I left, he was back on the machine and drifting into sleep.

The doctor has instructed the nurse to increase the last session tonight to cover a 2-hr break from the ventilator.  Dr Satchin (lovely chap - if I didn't have a boyfriend, I could easily fall for him : polite, personable, and with great bedside manners.  I'm mindful that Kieran is receiving this email too but he knows that I'm a faithful woman !) then turned to me and said this was to push Edi's lungs for recovery.  Edi may be agitated with a longer "exposure" but the nurse will closely monitor how he accepts it (as you know, he gets very tired as he has to work harder at breathing on his own when off the machine).

Off to see Edi now and will give next update on Mon."




1 comment:

Chris said...

yeah it's good news. the worst is over, hopefully. things can only get better from now and there's no turning back. keep at it edi :)the people who care for you are 100% behind you. God bless you!
and sam, he's in good hands ;)Cheers!