Saturday, November 21, 2009

Update for Saturday...

It's comforting to be able to get this update for the weekend.. !!  I am certain Edi will continue to recover well..


"I'm able to email on a Sat because I came into the office after being "booted" out of ICU as the doctors commenced their ward round. 

Over the last two days, Hei Meng and I noticed that Edi regularly moved his legs about, but not with force since he's weak.  He often also attempted to lift his right hand towards his chest.  I think he's started to exercise his legs and relieving pressure at particular spots on his back.   Observing this, I've started giving him gentle massages on the legs and arms.  Chris, the nurse commented that touching was important to patients as it's a source of comfort.

Last evening, he tried many times to lift his right hand even higher, towards his face.  I supported his hand in the hope that he could reach wherever it was but he wasn't strong enough.  I asked if he was itching on his face, chin, nose, etc but he shook his head.  I felt bad that I couldn't relieve him of the source of discomfort.  Eventually, when I replaced the moist face washer on his forehead, he shook his head.  Perhaps that was what he wanted me to address all along.  I felt stupid that I didn't progress in my questions from his face to his head !

I couldn't sleep this morning (Sat, 21/11) so popped in to see him again at 8'ish.  Another nurse, Brett, said Edi didn't sleep well because ICU was busy during the night.  Despite this, when I looked at his eyes, they were brighter (I'm careful not to imagine this).  Another good sign is that he coughs forcefully, an indication of lungs becoming stronger.  His temperature has also stepped down from 38.2 to 37.7 deg overnight.

Two days ago, I started reading the stats on the monitor that sits behind him.  I let him know his heart rate, pulse, temperature, b/p and oxygen intake level.  When at Box Hill hospital, he'd wanted me to turn a similar monitor towards him so that he could see what was going on with his body.    When he gets tired being off the ventilator and pants a bit, I tell all the above stats so that he knows that he's still doing well breathing on his own.  When I left at 9.30, Brett said they would take him off the ventilator until 12 noon.

I asked what medications Edi is on but the nurse last evening was very general in his response - meds for thinning blood, heart when fibrillating, and b/p.  He was reluctant to give me names due to Patients' Privacy Act.  I also couldn't see AP (or RP?) on the monitor but presume that it refers to Pulse.  If so, his is within the normal range of 70 - 100, as defined by the nurse.  The layout of the ICU is a huge open floor plan.  Centrally is the work station and surrounding it are the beds, each with an assortment of medical equipment.  Later, I'll see if Edi can have some music on an IPod without disturbing his neighbours."



No comments: