Saturday, November 28, 2009

Update for Saturday...

My Sydney friend (William) who flew in to Melbourne this morning, visited Edi at the hospital today.  Immediately after his visit, he sms'd me to say that Edi is recovering steadily.  Later in the late afternoon, he called me and told me in some detail about Edi.

Edi is not really able to talk yet, and when he does, its more like a very soft whisper.  It is usual for patients after a bypass operation, and more so in Edi's case since he has a tube inserted at his throat to help him breathe better.  Because of that also, he feels thirsty and has indicated a few times that he wants to drink just plain water.

The medication he has to swirl around in his mouth to prevent any thrush infection is apparently salty and that makes his thirst worse.  To lessen this, my friend suggested to his sister to have some cotton swabs dipped in water ready so that he can at least swipe it on the lips to lessen the parchness. (read my previous posting on why he couldn't be given normal water yet to drink)

In general he is fully aware of what's around him in the room, and has been very co-operative with the doctors and nurses.  They are making sure he understands what they are doing to him.  He sometimes feels a bit alarmed if the nurses or doctors do some new routine because he seems to think that could possibly mean something is not right.  They have to assure him that its not a negative development.  I guess this means he conciously wants to get better faster and gets a bit anxious.

He has also "complained" that the yoghurt they are beginning to feed him is rather too sweet for his liking.  To me, this only indicates that Edi is getting back some of his "normal" self (even my friend had to laugh at this trait of Edi's when he related it to me).

The card and the hippo soft-toy did bring him some measure of happiness and perhaps a touch of nostalgia.  William said he could see the corners of Edi's eyes grew moist when he read the card.  I am happy he can relate to the message and hope it will strengthen his resolve to get well.

He was rather disappointed at not being able to be given a bath yet although it had been planned.  Perhaps they will do it for him in another day or so.  He must be feeling uneasy not having a bath for the last 2 weeks !!

My friend said he will probably visit Edi again tomorrow (Sunday) and will keep me informed..

Thanks William for being such a thoughtful friend... !!

1 comment:

i'm shin... i'm inesen said...

bagusnya ada kawan kawan dan family yg baik.. yg caring time mcm ni...