Friday, November 13, 2009

An update to Edi's condition...

This morning I received an email from Edi's sister.  There is some improvement to his lung condition although there is still a long way to go..


"I called the hospital this morning at 8'ish.  Back track a bit here (I'm also trying to give more detail here to distract myself from thinking negative thoughts) - these three mornings when I got up, I struggled deciding to call or not to call ICU: what if they report deterioration, etc?  But I ended up ringing because "if there's improvement, it helps me to cope and I need to inform family members and friends who are anxiously waiting for updates".  Back to this morning's call, the nurse said they will put Edi onto another ventilator today and we pray that Edi responds well to it.  I was saying previously that if Edi continued the need of the current (advanced) ventilator running at full throttle, the doctors would be forced to put him on a lung bypass machine.

However, since yesterday they have the advanced model of ventilator running only at 50% capacity and Edi's responding well to the reduction (a sign that his lungs are improving although medically, they are still very sick).  She also said they have decreased the pressure into his lungs which I read as "progress" since high pressure is causing problems for the heart's blood circulation.  They have to give him some drug for the right side of his heart too, to keep it pumping."





No comments: