Sunday, November 29, 2009

Update for Sunday...

Edi's sister went back to her office again to be able to email updates.  Again its a fairly detailed description of what had transpired over Saturday and Sunday (some of which I've posted based on William's phone conversation with me yesterday).

He is improving albeit at a slow but steady pace.  For that, we are all thankful. From now, let's hope he will regain his strength..

"Sat, 28/11/09
Lauren, the Assistant nurse, came out to tell Hei Meng and me - during our morning visit - that Edi was a bit teary.  Sometimes, I wish that he would cry and cry to vent his sorrow but thus far, his 3 episodes have been for as short as 2-3 minutes.  But perhaps he has wept for longer when on his own.

The catheter was blocked.  Two nurses, Maria and Lauren, had to call in the doctor to unblock it after trying in vain to do that for ½ hour. The doctor (Marissa) had no success too and I heard brother moaning in pain as she tried to reposition it.  She decided to take it off and advised me that the team was already thinking about the removal yesterday.  It might have to go back in (No, no, no ... was the reaction in my mind) but she would monitor if Edi is able to pass urine on his own.  Within ½ hour, Edi was able to.

His heart still fibrillates now and again, and when he was in the toilet and left alone by the nurse, I became a bit concerned when the alarm kept pinging on the monitor that his heart rate was at 130'ish. He could become dizzy and fall over (not being clucky; the dizziness is a result of b/p dropping due to the racing heart beats - one of the doctors has explained this to me).  Nurse Julian came back and said he has been following Edi on the monitor near the nurses station.  A look into the toilet resulted in bringing him back to bed for a good rest.

The physiotherapist came by and because he was so tired, had Edi only do some leg exercises in bed.  I was invited to watch them so that I can get him to do them later in the day.  However, this didn't happen eventually because he was tired out for the rest of the day.

Afternoon visit - William visited and brought a pressie (gold box with a blue ribbon in which was a hippo soft toy) as well as an e-card from Sam.  Sam, I heard the story from William who heard it from you that Edi's lost a hippo and hence, this is a replacement :)  Edi was in and out of sleep but William managed to have a conversation with him.  The first question Edi asked was when William got into Melb.

When the nebulizer was administered (4 times daily), Edi became very agitated that the spray was very salty and this time, neither I nor William could persuade him to leave the mask on.  He also complained of the sweetness of plain yoghurt, fruche, orange juice and water pudding.

It wasn't the right time to tell him that I'd selected them since he was asleep last Fri when the dietitian came asking what he might want. William came up with the suggestion that we put forward to Julian - to soak some large cotton buds with water and wipe the insides of his mouth with them.  Julian willingly obliged us and Edi.

Dr Marissa came by to check his urine output but in the 1.1/2 hours since my return to the room, Edi has not been to the toilet.  Earlier Julian has asked if he wanted to go but the response was a negative. When he next awoke from his nap, I carefully phrased my words (two things were important for me (a) that I don't lie and (b) that he doesn't feel that I'm asking him to do things against his will   -  "The doctor and the nurse have asked if you have been to the toilet. Would you like to go now?"   Huge silent sigh from me when he nodded his head.





Sun, 29/11
Morning visit - Edi asked for his beads and when they were in his hand, he queried why they were so cold.

Julian came by and mentioned that his heart fibrillation has stabilised; only happened a few times during the night and this morning and they didn't last very long.  His b/p also was good during the fibrillation episodes and this might indicate that the drug that they have switched over to since yesterday is slowly working for him.  I am not quite sure if it was this conversation that caused Edi to suddenly cry.  By now I have learned not to say anything but just gently place my hands on him.  This is the 4th time that I know of his crying but only the 3rd time that I witnessed it.  Two tear drops, one from each eye, slowly coursed down and I helped him wipe them away.  Again within a few minutes, it was over.

Edi was fed a bit of Weetbix with a bit of milk and it was well accepted by the trachea, ie, he didn't choke and there was no drama ! Julian asked what Edi might like for food?  He doesn't think the hospital kitchen could drum up something appetizing for Edi given his aversion to sweet stuff.  I have rung home and Hazel will come with dinner (rice congee cooked in nutritious broth).  I think we can manage brekkies and dinners from home for time being.  As he can drink, we'll have him on nutritious soups.

Before lunch (a few tablespoons of carrot puree and mashed potato), Edi was encouraged to have some orange juice pudding.  He shook his head but thankfully, understood the importance of making the effort because this morning's blood sugar test showed he was a bit low in sugar.  Edi asked for water after a few mouthfuls and Julian gave him some water pudding.  I think I must try a bit of it myself to see how it tastes :-(

ICU Nurse Karen stopped by and she mentioned the trachea team will visit tomorrow to check on the incision at Edi's throat.  The nurses changed the dressing this morning and between yesterday and today, it's closed up further.   Little oozing out of it and at a guess, I'd say the incision is now ½ inch wide only.  Hopefully, the team doesn't see fit to invade his throat through the mouth with some scope to check if something's wrong with his voice box or whatever they want to check if they get concerned enough that he's not using his voice well.

We are very hopeful now that he can eat a bit, he will quickly progress to drinking water and other thin fluids."





No comments: