Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Wednesday update.. of sorts..

Today, I have not yet received any email from Edi's sister regarding his condition.  She did however manage to send me a short email on another matter and mentioned that Edi still has that "distant" look in his eys this morning, but that it wasn't as "bad" as yesterday.  I do hope he's slowly getting out of this condition.

I have asked a friend in Sydney who is going to Melbourne this weekend to print and bring along a card I've emailed to him for Edi. On it is a picture of the long-ago soft-toy hippo "pet" he likes, and which I know will bring back fond memories for him.  Hopefully, it will cheer him up a bit, or at least get his mind away from whatever it is that makes him feel depressed.

The same friend in Sydney has also asked one of his friends who works as a nurse in an ICU in Singapore regarding Edi's current situation.  The nurse's reply suggests that it is a perfectly normal condition for any patient who has gone through a major surgery and has been in ICU for awhile.  Let's hope that this explains Edi's condition..

On the same topic, I am extremely grateful to this friend in Sydney for offering to give his own soft-toy hippo to Edi when he makes a visit in the next few days at the hospital.  Hopefully by then Edi would have been moved out to a normal ward so that he can receive non-family visitors.  What makes me so touched by this friend's gesture is that the soft-toy was given to him by someone who is obviously dear to him, yet he says he cherishes Edi's friendship more so he wants to give it to Edi to cheer him up.  What else can I say to this except that I will always remember this kind gesture.... Bless you

Also, another friend who will be going off to a pilgrimage in India and has offered to do some prayers for him too.  I will be meeting him before he goes to hand over the necessary things on behalf of Edi. And also yet another friend has been silently praying for him all this while: to him I also would like to say my heartfelt thanks.  The beauty of the whole thing is, they are all of different faiths, yet they have the same common intention.  To this simple fact, I feel God really knows what's in our hearts, no matter how we communicate that to him...


Hopefully I can get more news and post it here..


4 comments:

Chris said...

I do think that it's normal to remain very quiet and disinterested after a surgery. That distant look may or may not be depression - it could even be introspection. Who knows? But of course there's great sadness especially when it comes from missing people. Maybe that's what Edi's going through.

Good to know though that he's coming through. Give a bit more time. The idea of the hippo is wonderful: something that connects him to home and you and friends. It should do something to him.

We'll continue praying won't we? You've been very strong, Sam.

gundaman said...

Thanks Chris.

I know I have to be strong for his sake. And I find that strength in having friends who also care for him.

By the way, please give a prayer too for Chris Yap's brother who just had a heart attack today. I just posted it..

Take care too OK.

Chris said...

One thing after another. Yeah I'll pray for his brother and for him too. You keep well yah.

Chris said...

Just called Chris Yap. His brother had an angiogram done today and is out of danger. Thank God. Chris is meantime occupied with preparing for his India pilgrimage. He should be okay. Cheers :)